After reading all the books, George R. R. Martin (GRRM) has mad character development skills. There’s about 2,000 or more characters within the series A Song of Ice and Fire, and even the minor characters (not the ones you perceive to be insignificant) are well developed. The HBO series has deviated from the books, but this season was much different and most anticipated.
If you haven’t watched or falling behind in the series and plan on catching up, the rest of this article will contain spoilers. Here is Season 6 trailer:
What’s surprising about season 6 finale, would be the Martell’s and Tyrell’s coming together in Dorne. Didn’t Olenna Tyrell sound like your grandmother when you butt into grown folk conversations? She’s a G. These two families have been enemies since the tourney between Oberyn and Willas. How will GRRM settle their differences in the upcoming book(s)? Looks like they’ll be frenemies.
During this scene of Martell and Tyrell meeting, Varys creeps out from no where. This is rather interesting. He’s a master of disguise, yet how does he leave Dorne in time to be beside Daenarys in the ending scene? How will this unfold in the next season?
Season Finale Key Points:
- Arya is an assassin taking people out on her list, so we know Cersei will be next.
- Jon Snow’s mother is revealed. He’s a Stark for sure, but is he Targaryen? He’s now known as the White Wolf, King of the North. Thanks Lady Mormont. How fitting did you catch Lyanna is his mother, and Lyanna Mormont who supports him.
- Jaime fears for his life as Cersei is seated on the throne.
- Sam reaches the Citadel and we see the library. The Citadel needs to work on their customer service skills.
- Sansa is finally learning not to trust Littlefinger who looks completely unhappy about the new King of the North.
One thing HBO fans might have forgotten, Dany’s prophesy from Quaithe:
“The glass candles are burning. Soon comes the pale mare, and after her the others. Kraken and dark flame, lion and griffin, the sun’s son and the mummer’s dragon. Trust none of them. Remember the Undying. Beware the perfumed seneschal.” – Dance of Dragons, Chapter 11, Quaithe to Daenerys.
With the ending of Season 6, fans are now waiting for the book, Winds of Winter. GRRM regularly updates his live journal and his website has his progress and excerpts on Winds of Winter. The season ended with the Citadel sending word to Winterfell that Winter is here. With that being said, will Dany be able to fight in the cold? Maybe this is where dragons come in handy.